Thursday, November 8, 2007

Confirmation in a Conversation (Part 1)

I've been involved in a couple interesting conversations in the past few days. Each one confirmed to me part of Unity Christian School's role in our community.

The first conversation was started by a friend of mine who teaches at a public elementary school and who attends the same church that my wife and I attend. That teacher told a few of us that she was so encouraged because she saw a few of her students at our church's fall festival on Oct. 31. The next day, her students began to ask her questions about the church and if she is a member there. That fall festival, which reached plenty of neighborhood kids and their parents, opened a door for this teacher to answer questions from children in her class.

As excited as I was about her opportunity to talk about her church, I felt bad that she doesn't get to go out of her way to share the message of hope and salvation in Jesus Christ with students who may not know or care about God.

I love the fact that teachers, faculty and staff at UCS go out of their way to make sure students know who Jesus Christ is, and that He loves them and has an incredible plan for their lives. I also love the fact that UCS' students don't keep that hope to themselves. You see, unlike Las Vegas, what happens here doesn't stay here. Growing up, I knew a Christian. That's right...one. But that friend made sure I knew that God loves me. In fact, it doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, what you've done or what's been done to you, God loves you.

Like that friend from my school days, our students are sharing their faith with their friends from outside UCS. Who knows, maybe my teacher-friend's students are benefitting from what God is doing at UCS.

I pray that they are.

Check back soon, and I'll tell you about that other conversation...

Mickey Seward
Associate Director of Development

No comments: