Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Confirmation in a Conversation (Part 2)

A few weeks back, I wrote about a conversation I had with a friend of mine who teaches at a local public school. In that post, I mentioned that the conversation confirmed yet again to me Unity Christian School's role in our community. I also promised another story about a different conversation I had that week that further confirmed to me what UCS is all about.

Like that first conversation, the second one took place with someone involved in a local public school. This time, I was speaking with a high school student. The young man is a former student at UCS, and he told me about what he feels is his role at his current school. He said he knows that he is a missionary to his classmates, there not only to study and make friends, but to tell those classmates about the unfailing love of Jesus Christ. He told me about how he has gone about doing that, and about another student a few years older than him who helps serve as his mentor. As this former UCS student goes about growing in his relationship with Christ, he is going out of his way to make sure those in his current school know that they are loved and that God has an incredible plan for their lives.

But, he told me something else. He said, "I love UCS. I love Mr. Getchell and Mr. Davis." He told me how he was prepared to do what he is doing while attending Unity Christian School. He told me how he has learned from his parents, who have set an incredible example for him, and his pastors and others at church. He told me how his UCS teachers and coaches helped him mature, and without their influence, he wouldn't be able to make the difference that he's making (and in my opinion, going to make quite a bit of in the future).

This is a young man who God can use to change our community, and who knows what else? And, according to that young man, the teachers and staff at UCS, along with his parents and church leaders, have helped him become that young man that will make a difference.

Now, take a look at UCS' mission statement:

"We will partner with Christian parents committed to Christ-centered, Biblically-based education to promote excellence in academics, to equip students with Christ-honoring leadership skills, and to develop their God-given potential which empowers them to impact the world for Jesus Christ."

It's a lot more than just a statement, isn't it? It's reality. It's happening...every day. UCS students are going into the community and impacting their own world for Jesus Christ by sharing Him with their friends, teammates and others they come in contact with on an everyday basis. God is using UCS to bring our students closer to Him, and they are taking what they learn at UCS and giving the greatest gift anyone could receive: Jesus Christ.

I invite you to take a look at UCS. When you do, I bet you'll say the same thing I say all the time: "Look what God did at UCS today!"

What are your thoughts? Feel free to leave a comment by clicking the "comments" link below each post.

Mickey Seward
Associate Director of Development

1 comment:

picturesofhisgrace said...

My husband and I feel like we are blessed to have our kids at Unity. We have a fourth grader, first grader, and 3 year old. We know without a doubt, that they are in the right place. We know that the leadership and the staff at Unity are Christ-like examples for our kids. And we are so thankful for them. As I was studying with our fourth grader for her science quiz, I was reminded how blessed we are to be able to use a curriculum that freely talks about how God created His creation, that it's not by chance, but with a purpose by Him and for Him. The Biblical worldview that our kids will take with them when they leave Unity will be priceless. They are and will be lights for Jesus in this dark world!