Monday, November 5, 2007

Racing for Jesus

As I begin writing this entry, my pen can barely keep up with my mind or perhaps more rightly, with my heart. Oh! God has shown His mighty hand at work and I am overflowing with thanksgiving for what He is doing in the children here at Unity and also in me! And how appropriate that God is giving me so many reasons to be thankful as we enter into this season of national thanksgiving as we remember the men and women that first founded our nation on faith and search our own hearts for the many blessings he has bestowed.

On Friday I attended the Great Pumpkin Race at Berry Elementary School to see some of our 2nd through 5th grade girls and boys participate in ½ and 1 mile races with other students their age. All of our runners ran hard and pushed themselves to do their best, several finishing in the top 5 or 10 of their race. Their valiant efforts and determination made me incredibly proud to be part of a school where student seek “to do all things through Christ who strengthens them” (Philippians 4:13). Yet it was what I witnessed before one of the races had even begun that spoke most profoundly and poignantly of the difference that Kingdom education is making in the lives of children at Unity.

As I walked about taking pictures of our runners and families, I passed by a group of our girls discussing preparation for their upcoming race. One of the moms had reminded them to stay loose and stretch as the race prior to theirs began. All nodded in agreement. Then one of them, obviously going through her pre-race routine in her mind, exclaimed, “We have to remember to pray!”

“Wow!” I thought to myself, “Now that is a Christ-centered, biblically–based education at work in the minds and hearts of young people.”

The young runner had taken that moment to be a Christ-like leader out of a pure desire to commit her efforts and the achievements of her team members to the Lord. Because the girl realized that her strength comes from God, the team prayer held a weighty significance to the team's preparation for the race. It was far more than a tradition or formality – it gave meaning to the endeavor itself and helped to physically, mentally, and spiritually prepare the athletes for their competition. This moment epitomized for me what I hope each student and athlete at Unity learns – to believe in God for all things and to honor Him with excellence – in the classroom, on the field, and in our daily interactions with one another.

Later, as I walked by the starting line for the girls’ race, I asked them if they were ready to do their best. Immediately and unabashedly one of the girls shouted, “Yes! This one’s for Jesus!” Again, God used the strong faith and devotion of a child to renew my commitment to and enthusiasm for my small part of God’s plan here at Unity Christian School. And the best part of it all is that these two highlights aren’t even the end of the story of what God did that day!

That’s a story for another day…

Page Thomas
Communications Coordinator

No comments: